View this page in English View this page in Spanish  

Help for immigrants


Many non-citizens are eligible for SNAP, such as those who have worked in the United States for a certain amount of time or have come into the United States with a particular immigration status.

If you do not have documented immigration status, you will not be able to apply for yourself, but you may be able to apply for other eligible household members.

Children born in the U.S. and those with legal permanent resident status may receive benefits even if their parents do not have documentation.

Non-immigrants (those on student, visitor or diplomatic visas) are not eligible to receive SNAP benefits, but may apply for other eligible household members.

Even if you do not meet the immigration status for SNAP, put your name on the application first if you are the head of the household and are applying for other eligible household members.

Immigrant applicant rights

The Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA) must provide you with an interpreter. If you want to bring your own interpreter to your interview, you can, but it cannot be a child under 18.

If you do not want to give information about your immigration status, you can tell your DTA caseworker you cannot provide that information. Your caseworker will stop asking you questions about your status.

Applying for and receiving SNAP will not impact your application for citizenship and/or a green card. Receiving SNAP does not make you a public charge.

For more information

For more information about which non-citizens may be eligible, or to be screened or assisted with an application by a counselor, please contact Project Bread's FoodSource Hotline at 1-800-645-8333. Bilingual counselors are available. The FoodSource Hotline uses Language Line and can assist callers in 160 languages.


Picture of vegetables

Need Help. Call Project Bread's FoodSource Hotline 1 800 645 8333

Frequently Asked Questions link


Link to Department of Transitional Assistance
Link to United States Department of Agriculture is a resource created by Project Bread - The Walk for Hunger, Inc., and has been funded in part with federal funds from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) in partnership with the Massachusetts Department of Transitional Assistance. The contents of this website do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of USDA, nor does mention of tradenames, commercial products, or organizations imply endorsement by the U.S. Government.

Project Bread - The Walk for Hunger® | 145 Border Street | East Boston, MA 02128
FoodSource Hotline  |  1-800-645-8333   |  (TTY) 1-800-377-1292 | |